If you need a quick reference for campus technology, look no further. We have tutorials and guides for the most common technologies used on campus. Looking for something that isn’t listed? Contact the Teaching and Learning Center. We can schedule a face-to-face training session to fit your schedule or create additional tutorials as needed.
- My Workspace: this video provides a walkthrough of the tools found on your Sakai My Workspace page
More specific guides and information can be found on the Sakai Help Site or on the Employee Lounge Site in Sakai. If you do not have access to this site, please contact the Teaching & Learning Center.
- Using a Smart Board
- Orienting the Smart Board: At times, the Smart Board orientation may be off. This causes the cursor to be off of where you touch, or the Smart Pens to write off-center. You can orient the board quickly and easily to correct this.
- Orienting the Smart Board video
- Using Smart Notebook: Smart Notebook is a program that will let you write, draw, and add objects using the Smart Board
- Turnitin Originality Reports through Sakai Assignments: Sakai assignments are now integrated with TurnItIn.com. You can use these instructions to create an assignment and generate originality reports for all student submissions. This only allows access to the originality report.
- Originality Report Overview
You may also have students submit their papers directly through TurnItIn.com. Before you can do that, you will need to have a TurnItIn.com account, create a class and create assignments.
To create an instructor account with TurnItIn.com, you will need the institution ID and join password. Contact the Teaching & Learning Center for this information.
- Creating an Account
- Creating Classes
- Creating Assignments
- Viewing Originality Reports
- Getting Started with TurnItIn Video: this video shows the basics of creating an account and creating a class
- Creating and Submitting Assignments Video: this video shows how to create assignments within a class
- Evaluating Originality Reports Video: this video shows how to view the student submissions
Films on Demand
Films on Demand is a streaming video service that NSCC faculty, staff, and students have access to through the NSCC Library. Films on Demand includes many full videos and clips covering a wide range of subjects.
Films on Demand Guides:
NSCC email is now powered by Gmail. This means that you have access to Mail, Calendar, Drive (Docs), Hangouts, and other features.
Google Email (Gmail) is a powerful and flexible email tool. The following guides provide some basic information on how to use Gmail.
- Email – Conversations: by default, your email is displayed in conversations – emails and replies are stacked together
- Email – Archiving Messages: Archiving lets you remove an email from your inbox without deleting it. You can find it again later if you need to.
- Email – Labels: Labels allow you to organize your emails in to categories. You can create categories for different projects, committees, classes and more.
- Email – Printing Emails: there are options for printing an entire conversation, or a single message.
- Email – Accessing on Cell Phones & Tablets: if you have a smartphone or tablet, you can check your email on the go
- Email – Labs: Google Labs is a collection of experimental features that you can enable. Some of these may add functionality, some may just change the look of your email.
Google Calendar allows you to keep track of events, respond to invitations, create new events, and invite others to events. This is a good way to keep track of meetings, campus events and more.
- Calendar – Overview: a series of lessons on basic calendar functions
- Calendar – Virtual Tour: see an interactive tour of Google calendar and learn about many of the features and options
Google Drive allows you to create and upload documents and access them on any computer or device connected to the Internet. You can also share documents with others, and collaboratively edit them.
- Drive – Overview: this tutorial gives an overview of a lot of the functions and features of Google Drive
- Drive – Create Documents: you can use Google Drive to create documents, spreadsheets, presentations and more
- Drive – Upload Files: you can upload files from your computer to Google Drive to share with others, or edit online
- Drive – Sharing Files: You can share individual files or folders with your coworkers. You can decide who can edit the document, or who can simply view it.
- Drive – Creating Surveys using Forms: Another document type that you can create is a Form, which can collect information from users. This can work well for surveys or sign-ups.
Chat and Hangouts are tools that allow real-time communication with any others with Google accounts, including co-workers and students.
- Google Chat and Hangouts: Google Chat and Hangouts can be used for real-time instant message and video chats