On June 15, 2012, the Secretary of Homeland Security announced that certain students who came to the United States as children and meet several guidelines may request, through a formal process, consideration of deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal. Only individuals who can prove through verifiable documentation that they meet these guidelines are eligible to be considered for deferred action. Determinations will be made on a case-by-case basis under the guidelines.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has a variety of useful resources about DACA on their website:

A high school diploma or GED is required for DACA. Students are encouraged to seek professional advice and/or counsel from an attorney or immigration specialist for all legal matters related to their immigration status. Northwest State Community College does not offer legal advice regarding students’ immigration status or eligibility for DACA.

There have been numerous reports of false advertising where DACA applicants have been taken advantage of and charged large service fees by individuals claiming to be advocates or even lawyers who can “help” with the application process. UnitedWeDream has created a useful tool to help find legal counsel.

Northwest State Community College welcomes you to pursue your education with us.

Steps to get started:

1. Complete admission application

​​2. Submit the following documents to the Registrar’s Office

  • Copy of your I-797 Notice of Action (approval notice only) from USCIS for your I-821 D application for Deferred Action Status.
  • Copy of your Employment Authorization Card (EAD)
  • Driver’s License or State ID

3. Take ACCUPLACER Assessment or submit ACT scores

4. Complete orientation online

5. Establish residency for in-state tuition purpose by completing the NSCC Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Residency Application and submit all the required documents to the Registrar’s Office before the term start date.

6. DACA students are not eligible for Federal Student Aid programs such as PELL, or student loans. However, you may apply for NSCC scholarships or for college-work study employment on campus.

  • To apply for NSCC scholarships see the financial aid office in Room C110
  • To apply for a NSCC campus job

​Student Services C140A
7. Please be aware that undocumented and DACA students may face obstacles in completing certain programs of study. For example, programs that require a practicum or licensure may be restricted based on Ohio law to U.S. citizens or permanent residents.