The Northwest State Community College Board of Trustees met in regular session on Friday, October 25 on the Archbold campus. After roll call, Robbin Wilcox, executive director for development and NSCC Foundation Board representative Brian Roth presented the Board with a check in the amount of $765,431. The money is designated for student scholarships, equipment, outreach programs and student support efforts.
Nearly $5 million has been provided through the generosity of businesses and individuals who have supported the Foundation over the past ten years. Brian Roth, NSCC Foundation representative, noted that the support comes from within the NSCC campus, as well as throughout the community. “I don’t know of a more valuable resource that this area has, and we’re very proud to be a part of (NSCC),” Roth noted.
During the presentation, Roth noted the necessity for the skills and training an NSCC education provides in areas such as science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) and agriculture, among others.
The NSCC Foundation has approximately 30 board and committee members representing Defiance, Fulton, Henry, Paulding, Van Wert and Williams Counties.
The Board also heard from Michael Leonard, department chair for agricultural studies, about the proposed agribusiness degree program at NSCC. Leonard shared information about the prevalence of science and technology in ag-related studies, as well as his ongoing efforts to forge strategic partnerships with ag-related organizations, boards and area schools.
In other Board action:
- Approved the promotion of Makenzie Warncke to associate director-financial aid
- Approved the employment of Matthew Gomez, custodian; Jason Baun, working supervisor/facility maintenance; and Kaylea Scott, financial aid counselor
- Approved the 2019-2020 revised budget
- Approved a monetary donation of $500 for the Veterans Lounge and a monetary donation of $100 for networking events, as gifts to the College
- Approved the offering of the Associate of Applied Science-Agribusiness degree program
- Approved miscellaneous employment contracts and one resignation