Program Overview

Northwest State’s human services program is a 2-year, associate degree program that includes both classroom and hands-on learning experiences. Graduates who successfully complete the program are qualified to apply for the Registered Social Work Assistant credential, which prepares them for entry-level employment in the human services field. Graduates may also choose to transfer their credits into a bachelor’s degree program.

Students in NSCC’s human services program gain a strong foundation in social and behavioral sciences in the classroom before heading into the field for supervised practical experiences at local social service agencies. Because graduates will work with fragile populations such as children and the elderly, students must meet all program requirements outlined in the human service student handbook.


Employment Outlook

Employment in the human services field is expected to grow faster than average through 2022 due to an increase in the elderly population and an increased demand for social, mental health and substance abuse treatment. Graduates of the human services program may seek work as social workers, social and community service managers or substance abuse/behavioral counselors. Those who continue their education to earn a bachelor’s and/or master’s degree will find more opportunities within the human services field.


Program Standards

NSCC’s program meets the standards for the State of Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage & Family Therapist Board Certification as a social work assistant.


About Human Services Workers

What do human services assistants do?
What do social workers do?


  • Social Workers
  • Social Service Managers
  • Community Service Manager Research Technician
  • Substance Abuse/Behavioral Counselors


Start on the pathway to your career at Northwest State Community College today!


Administrative Assistant

Julie Curry