The Northwest State Community College Board of Trustees met in regular session on Friday, June 21 on the Archbold campus. As part of the meeting, NSCC Executive Vice President Todd Hernandez presented news on grants the College has received from the National Science Foundation (NSF).
The two NSF grants were recently awarded to NSCC, totalling nearly $1 million.
NSF Cybersecurity Education for Advanced Manufacturing Organizations (CAMO) Grant: $488,426, terms: 8.1.19-7.31.22
Create cybersecurity training scenarios for advanced manufacturing that will be deployed at the Ohio cyber range, including basic networking and security audit theories and techniques. This will be especially beneficial for local employers concerned about cyber attacks on their manufacturing and process systems.
NSF Scaling Elements of a Competency-Based Hybrid Instruction Model into Advanced Manufacturing Courses (SCALE UP): $500,005, terms: 6.1.19-5.31.22
This project will achieve the long-term objectives of improving the effectiveness of advanced manufacturing courses, increasing access to technical education programs, and preparing technicians with the skills that employers require in a rapidly-changing workplace.
“The two NSF grants are a testament to the innovation of Northwest State Community College and will allow us to continue the great work in the areas of cybersecurity and industrial skilled trades,” Hernandez noted.
In other Board action:
- Approved the employment of Julie Kemarly-Dowland, faculty & lab coordinator-natural sciences; Ashley Barth, working supervisor-custodial; and Jennifer Thome, director-accounting & business services
- Approved the employment/promotion of Alex Mangotic, enrollment specialist, formerly administrative assistant for admissions & marketing
- Approved the renewal of probationary faculty and non-teaching faculty contracts
- Approved miscellaneous employment contracts and four resignations
- Approved 2019-2020 operating budget
- Approved per-credit-hour tuition increase for 2019-2020 academic year to $172.33 (from $167.33) for in-state and $333.66 (from $328.66) for out-of-state
- Approved deferred compensation for NSCC President Dr. Michael Thomson, based on his annual Board performance evaluation