The Northwest State Community College Board of Trustees met in regular session on Friday, October 26, 2018, on the Archbold campus. As part of the meeting, Dr. Kathy Keister was formally introduced as the new dean of the Nursing Division. Keister succeeds Patti Altman, who will be retiring effective January 1, 2019. Keister provided the Board with an overview of the nursing programs at Northwest State, which included introductions of some faculty members, and some impressive data from registered nursing and practical nursing board exam passage rates, both of which have generally exceeded both state and national averages.
At the end of the presentation, Dr. Keister and NSCC President Dr. Michael Thomson noted the upcoming “30 Years of Associate Degree Nursing” celebration happening on November 8.
In other Board action:
- Approved the employment contracts of Kathy Keister, dean-nursing; Anne Kindinger, assistant-data entry & testing; Jared Nofziger, associate director-financial aid; Nicole Hand, administrative assistant-community & workforce development; Deborah Hartzell, program & clinical coordinator; and Brittany Galbraith, enrollment advocate
- Approved miscellaneous employment contracts and one resignation
- Approved an employee benefits policy revision for graded (non-union) employees, to maintain consistency with contract employees
- Approved a resolution to approve the 2018 Affordability and Efficiency Report. The report is for a term of five years, and the framework was originally created in 2015 by Governor Kasich’s Ohio Task Force on Affordability and Efficiency.
- Approved a resolution to amend alternative retirement plans and assign administrative and investment duties. These are defined contribution plans under Section 401(a) and 403(b) of the Internal Revenue Code.