The Northwest State Community College Board of Trustees met in regular session on Friday, February 22 on the Archbold campus. As part of the meeting, the Board held its annual election for the positions of chair, vice chair and second vice chair. Laura Howell was elected to assume the duties as chair, replacing Jeff Erb. Joel Miller is now vice chair and Lisa McClure is the second vice chair. All officers will serve in these positions for the period of February 2019 through February 2020.
Erb nominated Howell to serve the College as chair, and he also offered a note of thanks and congratulations to Paul Siebenmorgen, who recently submitted his resignation/retirement to the Board. “We greatly admire and will miss Paul’s wisdom, expertise and leadership,” Erb noted.
As part of the Board meeting, Dr. Michael Thomson presented a restructuring of the NSCC cabinet, the senior leadership team, for consideration. Using a hybrid of the executive vice president (EVP) model, something NSCC has implemented with success in the past, Thomson recommended that Todd Hernandez be promoted to EVP. The move, which was approved by the Board, allows the College to increase its community engagement efforts, which will also benefit student recruitment, retention and success efforts throughout the College’s six-county service area.
“Our communities depend on us to help keep them strong. I am confident that working together, we can support our communities and provide NSCC a stable long-term future,” Thomson said.
In other Board action:
- Appointed John Bridenbaugh as delegate and Sue Derck as alternate from the Board to serve on the governing board of the Ohio Association of Community Colleges
- Approved the transfer of $300,000 in reserves in the unallocated fund balance to year-end reserves to support emergency and/or strategic expenses
- Approved the 2019-2020 student fees
- Approved the 2018-2019 revised budget
- Approved miscellaneous employment contracts and three resignations
- Approved the meeting dates for April 2019 through February 2020