Returning to school as an adult student can be intimidating, but at Northwest State there is no reason to worry. Our classrooms are filled with students from a wide range of ages and experiences.

Many Northwest State students are considered an adult or non-traditional student, which simply means that they are students who are starting or returning to college after the “traditional” age of 18 to 20. Below are some frequently asked questions that may help ease your mind about returning to the classroom.

How do I fit college classes into my busy schedule?
Many adult students have full time jobs and families that demand much of their time. Northwest State understands these priorities and offers a full schedule of evening, weekend and flexibly scheduled classes. We also offer accelerated 8-week classes to help these time-crunched students successfully complete their associate degree.

What if I need some help with my classes?
If it has been a while since you were in a classroom, you may need a little help getting up to speed with study techniques. The Student Success Center, located in the ‘A’ Building, offers one-on-one tutoring that is customized to your needs and your schedule. Contact the Success Center by sending an email to: or by calling 419.267.1447.

How do I get started?
Every student must complete an application for admission. We also need a copy of your high school transcript or GED. Students who have not attended another college are required to take the ACCUPLACER Assessment. This assessment reviews reading, math and writing skills and helps to place students in their first math and English class.

What if I have questions?
As you are filling out applications and thinking about what classes to enroll in, make an appointment with an admissions representative to discuss your options. We can help answer any questions you may have and help make sure that your transition back to school goes smoothly. Make an appointment today by calling 419.267.1320.