Step 1

Establish the educational benefits for which you qualify.

Establish the educational benefits for which you qualify. Visit the GI Bill Website and go to their Road Map for Succes

Step 2

Apply for benefits online or by mail.

At the website listed in step one, you can complete online application forms or print and send the forms by mail. The online forms are recommended as they are processed much more quickly.
If you need help with the process or need to know what to bring to the VA office, contact Connie Klingshirn, Certifying Official at 419.267.1329 or

Step 3


Complete the online admission application or request an application be sent to you by calling the Admissions Office at 419.267.1320.

Step 4

Complete the FAFSA

Apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). NSCC State’s code is 008677.

Step 5

Transfer Credits

NSCC awards college credit for basic military training. All eligible credits must be recognized by the American Council on Education (ACE), who recommends appropriate credit hours to be awarded.

Request transcripts from all the institutions that you have attended, including Advanced Placement (AP), CLEP, DANTES Standardized Subject Test, and eligible military training credits (CCAF, AARTS, SMART, & USCG). To avoid duplication of courses, all transcripts should be submitted as soon as they are available. Official transcripts should be sent to:
Northwest State Community College
Registrar’s Office
22600 State Route 34
Archbold, Ohio 43502

Step 6

ACCUPLACER Assessment and Registration

Shortly after you receive your NSCC Admissions letter, you should register for the ACCUPLACER Assessment, if you are not transferring math and English college credit.
Your admission letter will supply information about completing the admissions process, registering for courses, and visiting the campus. For questions, or to sign up for Student Orientation, Advising & Registration (SOAR) contact the Admissions Office at 419.260.1320.

Step 7

Meet with the VA Certifying Official at NSCC

Students receiving educational benefits must complete the Veterans Enrollment Certification Request Form each term. If you change your major or your class schedule or completely withdraw after you have submitted this form, you will need to contact Connie Klingshirn, VA Certifying Official.

If you are receiving benefits under Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607, then you must verify monthly attendance with the VA through the Web Automatic Verification Enrollment (WAVE). Verify your attendance each semester here:

Those receiving the Post-9/11 GI Bill do not have to verify their attendance through WAVE. Your school certifying official is responsible for verifying your attendance with VA at the beginning of your term. You are responsible for ensuring that your school certifying official is aware of your enrollment, and any subsequent changes in your schedule.

NSCC is required to certify your enrollment each term with the VA. Failure to report any schedule or major changes may result in an over payment, which the VA will require you to repay.

Step 8

Student Orientation, Advising and Registration

Sign up for Student Orientation, Advising and Registration (SOAR). Learn how to use your myNSCC web portal, email, academic and financial aid polices, and more. If you have any questions about orientation or need assistance in registering, please call 419.267.1242 or email

Step 9

Stay Connected with myNSCC and College email

Check your myNSCC account and College email frequently. The Business, Financial Aid and Registrar’s Offices no longer send hard copy mailings. All communications from these office will be through your myNSCC announcements and College email. myNSCC also allows you to manage your financial aid, view your tuition bill and make schedule changes online

Step 10

Accessibility Services are Available

The office of Accessibility Services is responsible for:

  • Establishing and communicating criteria for disability services
  • Reviewing documentation and assessment of individual student need to determine eligibility for disability services
  • Facilitating academic accommodations and services for qualified students with disabilities
  • Supporting disability-related services and opportunities for students with disabilities

To apply for accommodations, a student must fill out the Military Veterans Student Intake Form. For more information on accessibility services at Northwest State Community College, please contact Dave Donaldson at 419.267.1265 or Cherie Rix at 419.267.1457.