Benefit FAQ

How long do I have to make my election for healthcare?

Elections need to be made within 30 days from your hire date. Face-to-face benefit orientation sessions are to be scheduled in the Human Resource Department or by calling at 419-267-1334. You will have the opportunity to meet with the Benefit Specialist to discuss your enrollment options. All forms must be completed and turned in to the Human Resource office within 30 days from your hire date.

Is there a network for our Dental Plan?

There is not a network for our Dental Plan. The dentist must be properly trained and licensed to practice dentistry.

What happens if I go to an out-of-network health-care provider?

Our insurance carrier covers many health providers in our geographic area. However, if you choose to go to an out-of-network provider for services, the service received will be paid at the out-of-network co-insurance rate versus the in-network co-insurance rate. Therefore, the member will be responsible for all applicable out-of-pocket expenses. To view our network providers, visit www.frontpathcoalition.com

What is Co-pay?

Co-pay is the flat rate or percentage that the member pays for specific services. Our plan has the following co-pay schedule:

Physician Office $20.00
Chiropractic Office $20.00
Therapy $20.00
Specialist Office $40.00
Emergency Room* $110.00 *This co-pay is waived if admitted.

What is Co-Insurance?

Co-Insurance is the percentage of your care for which the medical plan pays. For example, if your co-insurance is 100%, then the plan pays 100% after any deductible and co-pays. If it is 80% co-insurance, the plan pays 80% after deductibles and co-pays and the remaining 20% would be the member’s responsibility.

Does our plan have a Maternity Management Program?

Yes, our plan has a Mandatory Maternity Management Program. If you or your spouse/dependent becomes pregnant, they must enroll by calling 1-888-810-8199 within 30 days after the pregnancy is diagnosed by their physician. Failure to notify will result in a reduction of benefits. See your Summary Plan Description for additional details.

Does NSCC offer a Flexible Spending Account (FSA)?

Yes! An FSA is an account the member sets up through payroll deduction that allows the member to pay for out –of-pocket health care expenses (including dependent care) with pre-tax dollars. This is a great option if you frequently need healthcare-related items that are not typically covered by your primary health insurance (for example, contact lens solution, over-the-counter medications, medically necessary supplements, first aid equipment, and more). You can even be reimbursed for your co-insurance payments as described above. You will be able to check the full list of benefits on the insurance carrier’s web site once you are enrolled.

What amount of basic life insurance, if any, does NSCC provide?

We have three classifications of employees that are eligible for basic life insurance: Full-time Faculty, Support Employees, and Graded Employees (administration). Full-time Faculty are provided with $50,000 of coverage. Support Employees are provided with $32,000 of coverage. NSCC provides each full-time Graded (administration) employee with life insurance coverage of $35,000 minimum, or one times your annual salary, whichever is greater. If your coverage exceeds the $50,000 minimum, the ‘premium value’ beyond that level will be added to your gross taxable income on a monthly basis, occurring during the first pay date of each respective month. The amount of the extra premium is determined by several factors including the amount of extra coverage and your current age bracket. Click here to review this amount.

How can I find out more details about these and other benefits available to me?

The NSCC Human Resource web site is a valuable resource for most of your employment questions. If you have further questions, you can always contact Lisa Ramirez, Employment and Benefits Supervisor at lramirez@northweststate.edu or 419.267.1334.